To enroll in and complete the WISE Program
for Sustainability in the Dynamic Earth, Tohoku University
*Participating departments (as of February 2020): Graduate School of Science (Department of Earth Sciences, Department of Geophysics), Graduate School of Engineering (Department of Quantum Science and Energy Engineering, Department of Chemical Engineering, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Department of Architecture and Building Science, Department of Management Science and Technology), Graduate School of Information Sciences (Department of Applied Information Sciences, Department of Human-Social Information Sciences), Graduate School of Environmental Studies (Department of Frontier Science for Advanced Environment), Graduate School of Medicine (Department of Medical Sciences), Graduate School of Arts and Letters (Department of Japanese Studies, Department of Global Humanities, Department of Integrated Human Sciences), Graduate School of Economics and Management (Department of Economics and Management)
*As a general rule, you must apply for the program to be enrolled in the April term. If you wish to be enrolled in the October term, you must apply six months later.
<Requirements for advancement and completion>
For the advancement in and completion of this program, one must fulfill the following requirements in addition to earning the credits stipulated by the graduate school/department one belongs to.
[Requirements for advancement to the second year]
- One must earn two credits of World Risk Management.
- One must pass the Qualifying Examination 1 (QE1) conducted by this program.
[Requirements for advancement to the third year]
- One must complete I-Lab I and II.
- One must earn four or more credits in interdisciplinary subjects.
- One must complete Training for International Intelligence I.
- One must earn credits in research.
[Requirements for the advancement to the fourth year]
- One must earn one or more credits in training subjects of the doctoral program.
- One must pass the Qualifying Examination 2 (QE2) conducted by this program.
[Requirements for completing this program]
- One must fulfill all the requirements stated above for advancing to the second, third, and fourth year.
- One must earn four or more credits in training subjects of the doctoral program, including industry-government-academia collaborative training and an autonomous project.
- One must earn credits in advanced research.
- After receiving the necessary research guidance, one must submit a doctoral thesis and pass the WISE program degree review and Qualifying Examination 3 (QE3) conducted by the Division for Academia-Industry Collaborating Graduate Programs of the Institute for Promoting Graduate Degree Programs.